Alert neighbor helps keep damage down in mobile home fire | News
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now)- A porch fire initiated by an improperly disposed cigarette caused extensive damage to a mobile home in the 4300 block of N. Flowing Wells this afternoon.
Capt. Adam Goldberg with the Northwest Fire District said a neighbor noticed smoke, discovered the porch fire and called 911 just after noon on Monday.
The fire was caused by the careless disposal of a cigarette, which was discarded onto an outdoor carpet, which smoldered for several hours, according to a news release.
Northwest Fire District responded to the scene quickly and contained the fire in under eight minutes.
The female resident was not at home at the time of fire.
The fire department reminds the public that early detection and a prompt call to 911 is the best way to stop a fire from spreading quickly.
The homeowner was not displaced by the fire. Damages were estimated around $1,000.
Copyright 2013 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Marana-Avra Valley
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Holiday greeting from Oro Valley native, Colonel Matthew Lewis
- Woman jailed, accused of fraud
- Back To Supersonica, makes its debut at the Pima Air & Space Museum
- Oro Valley’s “Drop & Shop” event lets parents finish holiday shopping
- OV public outreach kicks into high gear, community invited to special events